A fear of failure is something that I constantly struggle with. Even if it’s over something very small, there’s always been a voice in my head telling me that I can’t do it, or that I shouldn’t because I might fail. Fear is one of the thieves of joy so today I’d like to share some of the things that help me overcome it.
This industry can get be pretty harmful to your mental health if your head is in the wrong space, because there is so much competition and comparison (unfortunately). One of the reasons we fear failure is because we compare ourselves to others. So if you want to read more on that topic click here.
Whether you’ve been blogging for a few years, a few months or just started, I hope that these tips will help you smother any ounce of fear you might have.
First we need to understand what “failure” really means in this context, so below I’ve listed a few of the things that I’ve personally feared over the past few years of my blogging journey.
1. I’ll never make enough money to support myself and continue doing what I love as a career.
2. I won’t get any brand deals this month/this year.
3. I won’t get the engagement I need to succeed on my platform.
4. I won’t feel inspired or creative tomorrow.
5. People won’t like the content I create and it’ll show in my numbers.
That got really personal and honestly sharing those things was a little outside of my comfort zone but if it’s going to help you then I’m happy to share! But that’s step one, writing down every fear, no matter how small you may have and be thinking.
For some reason, writing down thoughts on a piece of paper or even typed out on a document brings them out of our heads and into reality. It makes them easier to understand and overcome. However, they’re not there to look back on every single day, that’s probably not a great idea.
Step two is to figure out how fear holds you back or affects your life. This is like a self-reflection and will help you in preventing those negative kickbacks of your fear. Maybe you procrastinate when you’re scared or you hold yourself back from starting something you want to do (ahem, blogging, IG or YouTube). Whatever it is, write it down.
I’ve also commonly seen bloggers create something, a YouTube video for example, edit it and finish it and then not post it because they feel it’s “not good enough” or “not up to their standards”. I’ve seen this way too much recently! If you put in the hard work and effort you should be able to post it without an ounce of fear. The reality is that you are your worst critic and no one else will see the “flaws” of your work like you do, or even at all.
Step three is to make a game plan on how you will combat those negative fears of failure whenever they pop into your head. Below is a list of ways you can do this!
1. Positive thinking. It’s easier said than done but it is possible. This has been a huge goal of mine for a few months now but let me tell you, it really works. When one negative thought pops into my head I basically have a conversation with myself (in my head LOL) and tell myself to cut it out. I think of positive outcomes rather than negative ones.
2. Create a Plan B. If you’re really so scared of failing, just make sure you’ve got a backup! Then you won’t be stuck if you do actually fail and you’ll also feel more confident making the decision. But hey, failing is not a bad thing so don’t be too hard on yourself if plan B becomes plan A.
3. Analyze the possible outcomes. Often we fear the unknown and what’s on the other side of making a big decision, so analyzing all of the possible outcomes will paint a picture of the worst case scenario! It may even put your mind at ease knowing that the “unknown” is now known and written down.
I hope these things help you overcome your fears of failure and if you ever feel like chatting about this topic more I’m always available through DM on Instagram or through the comments 🙂