Happy New Year everyone! I hope you were all able to celebrate NYE in your favourite way last night!
As the new year quickly started approaching this past weekend, I found myself constantly reflecting on 2018; the good, the bad and the ugly. So today I’d like to share some of the things last year taught me.
Some of them will sound silly to you because maybe you’ve already learned these things on your own journey but each of these things stood out to me this year. Whether it was through a good or bad experience, travel, or having to let something go, this is what 2018 taught me…
- Communication is everything in a relationship and the way I communicate with others will affect any outcome. Communicating in a positive, calm and caring nature is always best.
- Faith is important. My faith in my abilities and my faith in God were tested this year in multiple ways and I’ve come out of it understanding that faith is absolutely necessary, in the good times and the bad.
- Material things only promise temporary happiness. There were points this year where I felt like I had everything I needed materially and when that that happened I started to really focus more on what truly matters; family, friends, love and happiness. These are the blessings that keep on giving.
- Sticking true to your values makes you who you are. I met some people this year who had completely different views on human dignity and life values and at points I questioned my own thinking they weren’t “the norm”. I realize that everyone has their differences but sticking true to your values does make you who you are.
- Quality over quantity, always. This lesson was taught to me mainly through friendships this year.
- Life should not be rushed. Since I was little I’ve been a planner but this year taught me that not everything needs to run on a schedule. There should be room for uncertainty and spontaneity.
- When one door closes, another one always opens, but not always right away.
- There will always be something great on the other side of my comfort zone.
- Comparison is never positive. Self-belief conquers comparison to others.
- Relationships are not always smooth sailing. Yes we all think we know this when getting into a relationship, but until a relationship is tested you can’t truly understand it. I’ve learned that issues are best solved together and head on rather than left alone and “let go”. They’re never really let go..
- A caring helping hand will always work better than an ambitious and aggressive helping hand.
- How much money I make does NOT define me.
- Passions are meant to be pursued. I pursued mine in 2018 and I have no regrets. I hope everyone learns this lesson some day.
- I am always a work in progress. The best version of me will continue to be a work in progress until the day I die.
- Good things take time, sometimes a long time.
- Self care and pampering is not something to be ashamed of.
- It is difficult to love someone else if I do not love myself first. I only just realized this within the past few months actually.
- Traveling is a great way to open your mind and make changes.
- Working out for the feeling afterwards motivates me more than working out for a better appearance.
- Uncertainty is healthy and normal. There is no “book of life” that sets you on one straight path.
What’s something that 2018 taught you?