I don’t know about you, but I love to have freedom on my weekends, AKA, I like not having to worry about finishing assignments or getting work done for deadlines. I’d say 90% of my weekends are laid back, and my secret is… I work my a** off during the week! I’ve broken down my habits during the week so that hopefully you can free up your weekends as well.
The key to weekend freedom is simply this, DO NOT WASTE PRECIOUS WEEKDAY TIME. As much as I’d love to spend my evenings catching up on Netflix shows and scrolling through my social media, I don’t. I’ve developed the habit of getting done what’s important before sitting down to relax.
- Complete assignments in between classes.
- Complete assignments ahead of time.
- If you write class notes, write them in the evenings from Monday-Thursday.
- If you’re taking an online course, read your chapters in the evenings and complete discussions or weekly activities in between your classes.
- Pay attention in class so that you don’t have to take time outside of class to catchup and re-read what you’ve just been taught.
Asides from exam time, I really do try hard to keep my weekends free because that’s my time to refresh my brain for the upcoming week. When it’s exam time I follow these guidelines but do a lot of my studying on the weekends.
- Accept that if deadlines aren’t met it is NOT the end of the world. If you’re stressing out about not meeting a project deadline or something similar then take a step back and re-evaluate. Stressing yourself out will likely cause you to take double the amount of time to finish the task.
- Stay OFF of your phone. If you work in an office like me and sit at your desk for 7/8 of the day then you know how tempting it can be to check your phone every so often. I’ve learned to keep my phone either in my desk or bag so that I don’t waste time doing useless things on it when I should be working!
- Do not bring work home with you. What’s done is done and if you’ve managed your time correctly then your deadlines should be completely feasible! Don’t bring work home on the weekends because it will prevent you from getting the proper relaxation that your mind needs and will carry stress over into the next week.
GENERAL GOOD HABITS
- Put your phone down. So obvious right? Trust me, it saves a TON of time.
- Exercise regularly and eat right! This might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think time saver but it certainly is. Exercising and feeding your body the right types of energy will boost your productivity.
- Use a planner or agenda. Documenting your to-do lists ahead of time will save you stress, protect you from forgetting things, and keep you on track.
How do you free up your weekends babes?