As you may know I work-out 5 to 6 days a week in my home gym (recently I’ve been doing 6 days a week to get ready for summer 😉 ) I’ve been asked a few times to post about my work-out routine and I have finally come around to doing it! These exercises are what I do specifically with ankle weights, but most of them can also be done without.
I’ve been working out since 2014, and I’ve always worked out at home, never owned a gym pass! You can read about why I work-out from home right here. Something about having a home gym just makes me feel as if I have an obligation to work-out every time that I pass by it! Self-motivation is key though.
Now let’s get to the exercises!
Arm Workouts with Ankle Weights Around Wrists
- Straight Arm Movements (up, down, forward, backward); Keeping your arms extended and level to your shoulders, make rapid movements and alternate going up, down, forward, and back.
- Boxing Punches (Rapid Fire)
- Arm Circles; Keeping your arms extended and level to your shoulders, move them in a small circular motion for a set amount of seconds.
Legs/Glutes Workouts with Ankle Weights Around Ankles
- Jump Squats
- Jumping Jacks
- Standing Sideways Leg Lifts; stand straight and hold onto something, keep your lifted leg straight and the supporting leg slightly bent. Alternate lifting your left and right legs to become level with your waist.
- Fire Hydrants; Get on all fours and alternate lifting (not extending) your left and right legs.
- Leg Extensions (on chair); Sit on a chair with both hands to your sides holding on. Extend both legs from sitting position to straight and repeat.
- High Knees
Abdominal Workouts with Ankle Weights (around ankles)
- Leg Lifts Laying Down; Lay down on your back, lift both legs off the ground and repeat.
- Leg Extensions; Lay down on your back and put your hands behind your neck with your head slightly raised off the ground. Pull in your knees then extend both legs together and repeat.
- Leg Raise Toe Touches; Lay down on your back with your arms extended up above your head. Lift both hands and feet at the same time to meet above, keeping your arms and legs as straight as possible.
- Bicycle Kicks
Now all of these exercises are great for home workouts, but the number of reps for each exercise will vary depending on how fit you are and how often you workout! Consistency is also key if you’re working towards a certain body goal, so keep that in mind when you set up your workout routine!
If there are other workout tips or exercises that you would like me to post about please let me know in the comments below or through my contact form here.