Summer brings many good things and picnics are one of my favourites! I don’t like to skimp on the food or fun when it comes to picnics so I hope this checklist helps you plan your next one!
Food & Beverages
- Casual Foods – avoid items with mayonnaise and pack your food in resealable, lightweight containers. Better yet, use disposable containers!
- Ice packs or bags of ice – food spoils quickly when it’s in the wrong temperature, use the ice to transport your food and then pop em in your drinks for a nice cool down!
- Drinks – bottled water, pop, juice, adult beverages.
- Condiments – if you’re bringing food that will require ketchup and mustard then try to find small packets (like at fast food restaurants) that you can chuck in your bag.
- Salt and pepper – not mandatory, but definitely something to consider if the food requires it!
- Cups and plates – eco-friendly paper or plastic work! Buy them at your local dollar store to save a little bit.
- Utensils – go for reusable ones.
- Serving utensils – depending on the food you bring, don’t forget a few tongs or serving spoons!
- Cutting knife – a plastic knife will do just fine for sandwiches.
- Bottle opener or corkscrew – or both!
- Napkins – bring a roll or a stack.
Other Random Things
- Garbage bags – ever heard the saying “leave it cleaner than you found it”?
- Wipes or moist toweletes – instead of pouring water over napkins, get a pack of wipes for hands and spills.
- Paper towel – if you chose a roll for your napkin option then it’s dual for cleanup time!
- Blanket, large towel, or bed sheet – make sure its big enough to hold everything in, but light enough to carry.
- Bag and cooler – well what else are you going to carry everything in?!
- Bluetooth speaker – to get the music bumpin.
- Sports equipment and games – cards, boardgames, soccer ball, volleyball, foot ball, frisbee, etc.
- Sunscreen – even if it’s overcast people!
- Sun umbrella – if you’re not under a tree, you might find this will come in handy when the sun peeks out.
What do you bring on your picnics? Anything fun that I should try on my next one?